Using publicity to promote your team is a great way to increase awareness of Destination Imagination Global Finals and raise funds. Without publicity, the community will not know of the team’s advancement to Global Finals and, therefore, will not know that there is a financial need. Let them know about your team promptly, and let the community develop a sense of pride in the team.
Global Finals and our participating teams will be featured prominently on our social media channels. If you haven’t already, be sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter @IDODI and @GlobalFinals, share with us on Instagram @boxandball and @globalfinals, and connect with us on Google+ and LinkedIn.
Why you should follow @GlobalFinals
: This account will be sharing key information like locations and promotions of events at Global Finals 2014.
Why you should follow @IDODI
: IDODI is Destination Imagination’s main Twitter handle. Follow this account for relevant DI information all year long! @IDODI will also be tweeting out event recaps from Global Finals.
Be a part of the conversation on Twitter:
Do you want to connect with other Global Finals participants? Be sure to tag DI on twitter and use our hashtags so other people can see your tweets!
Twitter Live Stream:
This year, for the first time ever, we will be hosting a twitter livestream during the Welcome Ceremony and Closing Celebration. By following us at @IDODI and @GlobalFinals, you’ll be able to join thousands of DI-ers, parents, educators, volunteers and fans from across the globe who are watching the ceremonies either in person or on DI-TV. Don’t just watch the conversation, join in! Tweet at us and use our hashtags during the livestream so thousands of people can read your tweets!
Sample Tweets & Facebook Posts:
• We are headed to the @IDODI @GlobalFinals in Knoxville TN! http://ow.ly/wle9M
• (YOUR TEAM NAME) is among more than 1,350 teams that will advance to the @IDODI @GlobalFinals #GlobalFinals14
• We are headed to the largest creative thinking & problem solving competition in the world! @GlobalFinals #GlobalFinals14
• Over 18,000 people attend @IDODI Global Finals to celebrate creativity and have fun. #GlobalFinals14
• Follow us on smugmug as we compete in @IDODI Global Finals http://ph.ly/mug
• The countdown is on to @IDODI Global Finals! #GlobalFinals14
• Watch a livestream of the @IDODI Global Finals Welcome Ceremony here http://ph.ly/Live
• On May 21st, we are traveling to Knoxville, TN to compete in @Destination Imagination’s Global Finals–the largest creative thinking and problem solving competition in the world. Look for us on the Smugmug page as we compete and have fun! #GlobalFinals14 http://destinationimagination.smugmug.com/
• What do we have in common with Zac Efron, Chris Colfer and Kenton Duty? We have all participated in @Destination Imagination! Learn more about the challenge here http://ph.ly/Finals
• We’ve been selected to participate in the @Destination Imagination Global Finals! Check out a live stream of the Welcome Ceremony and Closing Celebration here http://ow.ly/wlfpe
• (TEAM NAME) is heading to @Destination Imagination in Knoxville, TN to compete in the largest creative thinking and problem solving competition in the world. Over 100,000 young people have competed to earn a spot in Global Finals and we made it! Learn more about the competition here http://www.globalfinals.org/
• Each year, hundreds of thousands of kids in the US and 30 countries compete in tournaments to earn a spot at @Destination Imagination’s Global Finals. This year (TEAM NAME) will be headed to Knoxville, TN to compete in the finals! Follow all the action here #GlobalFinals14 http://www.globalfinals.org/
• (TEAM NAME) is among more than 1,350 teams that will advance to @Destination Imagination’s Global Finals #GlobalFinals14 http://www.globalfinals.org/
Contact the publicity person from your school district or talk to one of your publicity-minded parents and ask him or her to contact your newspaper and TV stations.
Complete the press release below and email it to your local TV, radio and newspaper stations. To ensure your email isn’t marked as spam, we encourage you to cut and paste the press release into the body of the email, rather than sending it as an attachment. All press releases must include a contact person for reporters to follow up with.
Present basic information on the Destination Imagination program and Global Finals.
Make the case for why the local community may want to know about your team, Destination Imagination and Global Finals. This can include personal stories of noteworthy participants that have positively impacted your local community or something above and beyond that the team and its members have done.
Point out that the team needs contributions and let them know to whom and where they can send donations.
If your team is going to have a garage sale, car wash or sell their time to raise money, add that information to the press release or mention it in your email.
Share a call to action – talk about the benefits of Destination Imagination and provide the website addresses for more information: DestinationImagination.org and GlobalFinals.org.
Offer visuals – where possible, offer editors high-resolution photos or include links to videos in your pitch. Print publications typically require high-resolution photos (at least 300dpi).
2014 Press Release Template
Click here to download our 2014 Press Release Template for Teams.